Isole di Brissago 1|3 - Movie Details

Isole di Brissago 1|3

Watch the full episode on the SWISSVIEW APP.

Route: Ronco sopra Ascona – Isole di Brissago

The Isole di Brissago (Brissago Islands) are situated on the Swiss side of Lake Maggiore, approx. 2.5 km from Brissago TI and 3.5 km from Ascona. They can be reached by shuttle boat from Porto Ronco. San Pancrazio (or Grande Isola) is the larger of the two islands and houses a botanical garden.

The smaller island Isolino (Isola Piccola or Isola di Sant’Apollinare) has remained untouched. The islands were already inhabited during Roman times. In 1875, a dynamite factory for nitroglycerin for the construction of the Gotthard Rail Tunnel was to be built on the island. However, only exploratory work was done. Between 1885 and 1927, the islands belonged to the German-Russian baroness Antoinette de Saint Léger. Today, the islands belong to the canton of Ticino and the municipalities of Ascona, Brissago TI, and Ronco sopra Ascona.

Return to Movies